I gave this a whirl tonight without prior thoughts for a recipe. A little of this and a little of that, and it worked to serve 6.
NOTE: I love brown rice and because the cook time for brown rice is between 40 minutes and an hour, I had plenty of time to prep this dish.
Prep time is between 15-30 minutes depending on the tools you have on hand.
Cook time is about 35 minutes
My wife told me I had chicken to work with, and so away I went.
This is a variant on my Golden Mushroom Chicken, but roasted and after the fashion of French Onion Soup.
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts, butterflied to half-inch thickness
- 1 Can Campbell’s Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup
- 1 pouch Lipton Onion Soup
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, PRN
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Coat a Pyrex 9×13 with a decent amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Use other oil depending on the taste you want.
- Cut breasts to desired portion size and butterfly the parts that are too thick. 8 did mine to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Use additional pans if necessary.
- Arrange chicken in pan.
- Spread some of the soup on each piece of chicken.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix on chicken.
- Cook uncovered in oven for 27-35 minutes adding cheese for the last 5-15 minutes, depending on desired brownness of cheese.
- Serve with rice and steamed or blanched vegetables, or whatever sides tickle your pickle.
Pictured below is with cheese added last 5 minutes. I will probably add cheese earlier in the final cook time, and probably use less olive oil as well. The Onion Soup packet adds a lovely touch of umami/richness.
I think this would work well with Condensed or leftover French Onion soup from home or restaurant, as well.